Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Looky here!

I just love when my garden randomly sprouts up last year's old seeds! I went out into the garden today to clean out the dead stuff from last year and found myself a bunch of spinach that is ready to eat...

and a cute little row of lettuce!
Mmmmm! I can't wait to try it out, and I will be planting more soon- fo sho!
This is a benefit of my laziness. I rarely clear out the garden before winter hits, and every year I get a few surprise volunteer veggies! I usually get tomatillos from this, and last year I got cilantro and lettuce also. Pretty cool, that mother nature.
I am SO excited for my home grown vegetables and fruits this summer. It's the best time of the year! And I get to be outside working in the dirt most of my days. BONUS!

So I have all these strange little black rocks in my garden every year, and I have no idea where they are coming from. They look like little lava rocks.
They appear every spring, just sitting there on top of the soil. Last year I gave the girls the job of picking them all out. I know, it sounds mean, but they loved it. They are obsessive like that. Anyway, they are multiplying in my garden soil and I don't know if it has something to do with the ph levels or what. Any input on this would be helpful. I haven't googled it yet...google answers all my other questions with such accuracy, I should just go there. :)

2 comments:

  1. How nice is that that you already have some things growing. I think i'm too lazy this year to grow anything in my garden. I'm getting so fat now i can barely bend over..:) I wish i lived closer so i could just come over and steal your vegies. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of your gardening skills! I was supplied with a black thumb. We do have a little garden plot at this house. Not sure what to plant when, but it sure would be fun to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I love your comments!