Monday, February 3, 2014

Don't Chase People

I came across this quote today on my friend's Instagram account.  It is something I have thought about a lot lately, but I haven't been able to put the words together in the right way.  This is very well said, and I believe it to be one of the greatest keys to happiness.


I have had the phrase "don't chase people" in my head recently.  This is a lesson I have learned in the last two years.  It's been a difficult lesson to learn, and painful on many occasions, but a very important one.

There are people who come into our lives for a time, or for a reason, and then they leave.  The leaving is the part that I really struggle with.  I love people.  I have many friends, and I really love to maintain relationships with people I have come to love.

I have what I consider a gift of feeling connected to people very quickly.  I am able to look deep within the person and see who they really are, and I love most people almost immediately.  Because of this love for them, I feel comfortable around them and tend to open myself up fairly early on in the friendship.  I think this makes many people uncomfortable and it usually feels as though this connection is not mutual, or the vulnerability required in a close relationship is not reciprocated.

In the past, I have had a very difficult time in letting go of those who want to go.  This is a skill I have been forced to develop as of late, and I have come to realize that the right people are in my life at the right times.  I have no right to insert myself into someone's life who no longer wants or needs me there, and I have to be ok with that.  I can't chase them.

I've got to continue to "do my thing" and the people I need in my life will come and find me, and they will stay.  I've had some really incredible people find me over the years, and a lot of them have stayed.  I've also had some amazing people find me, but then leave.  I'm sure I have left a few as well simply because life and circumstances change.

I believe this idea of living your life, or "doing your thing" without worrying too much about which people may come or go is a huge key to personal happiness.  The people who truly matter in this life are the people I will be with forever...my family.  Those are the relationship that must have the most time invested into them.  The eternal relationships should be the priority.  I have spent much more time with my family in the last couple of years than I did the pervious few and I am a much happier person.  I love my family, and I am lucky to have such wonderful people who love me back.  I am truly blessed.




Now, to figure out "my thing".  I think that inspires a new blog post...My Favorite Things

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh how I love your comments!