Tuesday, March 19, 2013

But I don't WANT to

You don't have to want to do something to do it

It is possible to enjoy something you don't want to do, but sometimes you really have to put your back into it.
For example, there have been many a times when I didn't really want to do the dishes, but I turned on some kickin' tunes and danced my way through it.  Before long, the dishes were done and I had enjoyed doing them...because I distracted myself with something else I really love.

Sometimes if I think of the end result of that nasty thing I don't want to do, I will realize that want the result enough that it's worth doing.  There are many things that fall into this category for me.  Such as:

  • scraping the kids boogers off the wall
  • cooking dinner when I realize it's 5:00 pm and I'm still on the computer (eek!)
  • wiping my 5 year old's butt
  • cleaning bubble gum flavored toothpaste off the bathroom sink
  • wiping the kitchen table after EVERY SINGLE MEAL AND SNACK!  Ugh!  Seriously.
But if I didn't do all of these things, how gross would it be around here?  Pretty freaking gross.  Yeah, I get the kids to do a fair amount of the cleaning, but there are just some things I must do myself or it will remain mostly undone.

ENFORCE

So here comes the "work" part, another thing I really don't want to do.  Mainly because it doesn't come easy for me.  I must take the time to teach the kids about these things.  

  • I have (countless times) taught the kids that it's not ok to wipe boogers on the wall.  They have cleaned them up, or tried to anyway, yet a certain child of mine still has this disgusting habit.  Have you ever tried cleaning that?  Eww.  It's gross, and surprisingly difficult.
  • I've started teaching the girls how to cook.  They are not ready to do dinners yet, but they can both successfully cook oatmeal and ramen on the stove, and eggs in the microwave!  Wahoo!  (This means I get to sleep in and don't have to make the oatmeal in the morning!!!!
  • Teaching someone how to wipe their butt is not pleasant.  The end.
  • Cleaning the toothpaste is easy, it's the avoiding getting the toothpaste there in the first place that's the tricky thing.  Working on it with the kiddos and trying not to yell about it every day.
  • And finally, the kitchen table...oh boy.  That is a constant battle.  Kids are just messy.  They make crumbs everywhere, and when they "wipe the table" they just brush most of the crumbs onto the floor.  Then they complain about having to vacuum the crumbs up.  Battle battle battle.

So what is the point of all this complaining?  To point out that I realize that I don't have to WANT to do something for it to be worth doing.  These things (and many others that I refer to as my cobwebs) must be done on a regular basis for me to feel comfortable in my home.   I've got to clear the cobwebs.  Even if I don't want to.  I've got to teach my children, even if I don't want to.  I've got to fulfill my duties as a mother, even if I don't want to.  
I am SO grateful for a husband who gives me much needed breaks more often than I deserve!


What are your cobwebs?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh how I love your comments!